Monday, October 11, 2010

At the Mall

Mary Edeza De Leon
September 23, 2010

We sat at the corner
of the long-forgotten Mall.
Staring at the blue skies
as it reflects on the tile floor.

I showed you a book
I was reading and let you read
a poem that oddly
but perfectly describes
the moment we're in.

We laughed like we knew
what's going on each other's minds.
Then shook our heads
to take us back to the present time.

Nobody spoke but the intercom,
the woman bargaining for clothes,
the kid screaming as he tries to catch the ball
and the aircon blowing all our warmth off.

You tried to catch my eyes for the answer
as the lady whispers on the intercom
Chasing it for a glimpse of hope and redemption
as the kid impatiently chases his ball
I stared back as blank and as cold as I can
as the aircon blows off our warmth
Until I couldn't .

I said stop,
but my hand started to stroke you back
- my favorite part.


No comments:

Post a Comment